Thursday, September 04, 2008

Wal-Mart trip!

Yesterday I realized that I should probably make a wal-mart trip. It was the beginning of the month, and we were out of a few things, like milk, juice, bread. Also, it dawned on me that yesterday was the last day of our self-imposed "vacation." Meaning today Joey went back to school after a week off for labor day. So yesterday was the last day for awhile where I could go to Wal-Mart all by myself. Which is always appreciated. And now that I am using coupons, even more appreciated!

I was very happy with my trip to Wal-Mart. Thanks to stockpiling on cosmetics and such, I had no need for the pharmacy and cosmetics section, which usually always cost me big bucks. I used a coupon on almost everything I bought, other than milk, bread, produce and meat. I bought very little meat, just what we need for another 2 weeks, and after that I will probably go get more at Aldis.

All in all I bought 97 items. Total before discounts $194. Rollbacks at WalMart: $6. Coupons: $26. Total including taxes: $162. PLUS I have the Kelloggs $10 rebate coming for this purchase, so I actually spent $152 that I will not see again. My goal was to spend $150 and I got pretty close. This was a cart that was overflowing and that I have easily paid $250 for in the past. So I was happy.

However, I did make a couple of mistakes. I forgot to give the cashier my coupons for my free wheat thins and dressing, meaning I paid $7 more than I needed to. Oh well. We will eat them and get free ones next time!

I was a little worried at the check out counter though when the cashier didn't want to use my internet coupons. She said a lady recently came in and bought a lot of groceries for only $.96 using lots of coupons. Later it was discovered that the coupons she used were all copies of interenet coupons. Meaning they were worthless. Rrrr!

Thankfully my cashier was nice and called over her manager to look at my coupons and approve that they were legitimate, which she did, and all was well again. I can get some coupons online consisitently, that I just don't see anywhere else.

When I came home I started cleaning out my cabinets to make room for all my new food. That is when I decided to get rid of some of our canned goods that we don't like or won't use, or someone else gave us. It was such a great feeling! I was happily giving away food for someone else to use and enjoy. And I wasn't worried. I wasn't worried that this was going to hurt us, instead it freed us! Now that I don't worry about what we will eat, because I will always be able to get a good deal somewhere, and we are stockpiling, I can freely give to others that do have a need. And my cabinet is now filled with food we like and will eat, not just leftovers from others pantries! Yay! Yesterday was a good frugal day.

No comments: